Stay engaged during the Summer!
As summertime approaches it is very important to keep your little one involved. Students who do not read over the summer can sometimes lose three or more reading levels causing them to start third grade below level which causes frustration for the student. It is imperative that your student READS over the summer to continue use of reading strategies. Practice makes perfect.
I will also post a list of the third grade sight words. Please write them down on index cards and practice them over the summer. Also, continue practicing second grade sight words even if they have been mastered.
“Summertime Activities to Keep Your Little One Engaged”:
- Visit the “Lone Star College” Library in Tomball
- Read Daily
- Continue Practicing Sight Words (Kinder, First and Second)
- Listen to Books on Tape/CD
- Practice Math Fact Flash Cards (Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication)
- Write in a Summer Journal
- Read Out Loud to Your Little One to Model Good Reading
- Utilize educational websites (first in math, raz kids, myon)
Library Website: http://www.hcpl.net/location/tomball-college-community-library
The Tomball library has an amazing children section and offers incredible FREE summer programs for all students. They have puppet shows, author visits, free book incentives, read alouds and the staff is VERY helpful in meeting the needs of your little one.
Thank you for your support and help at home this summer!