Battle of the Books
The official reading lists for each competition consists of 30 books. The list can be found below. Books from the reading list can be found at our school's library for checkout (in limited quantities), the public library, or acquired personally by the students. Students do not need to read all 30 books. In fact, it is discouraged, and each team member is responsible for reading between 5-10 books each. They met as a team in November and discussed who was going to read each book.
What is the School's Competition Like?
This is a no-stress event that will take place during your child's recess. The students will come into the library during their recess, sit with their teams, and together guess which book each question is describing. They may not bring anything with them, and everything is all by memory. There will be a total of 15-20 questions, each worth up to 3 points per question:
- 1 point= They guessed the correct title of the question's book
- 1 point= They guessed the author of the book
- 1 point= They spelled both the title an author correct
The team with the most points will advance to our district's competition on:
Thursday, March 5th
from 6:00-8:00 PM
at our district's Staff Development Building
1302 Keefer Rd, Tomball, TX 77375
How Can I Help My Child? February 2020 Tips...
- Ask your child which books they were in charge of reading and to tell you what each of those books were about. If they have not kept up with their reading selections, encourage them that reading the book's blurb (summary) is better than nothing.
- Quiz your child by saying a book's title, and see if they can remember the author. They will not get to bring anything with them to the competition, so it all must be memorized.
- Remind them that this is a team competition, and ask if they have been practicing during recess or another time with their teammates like I have encouraged them to do in the Library.